Tuesday, October 3, 2017

What day is it today?

The kids brought progress reports home this week and I realized that I hadn't posted anything since the first day of school!  Where has the time gone? 

At Back to School Night, we learned that Kara scored a perfect score on her state test for English Language Arts last school year.  We were surprised and excited... and of course then asked why she missed 7 points in Math.  Couldn't help it! 


Kara is in 5th grade and she's playing soccer again this year.  She is growing up fast and even though she's still 10, we are getting glimpses of what it will be like to have a teenage daughter.  I remember when she was born and when I told my childhood friend that we had a girl, her response was, "it's payback time, Kari!"


Rather than do soccer, the boys opted to try judo.  So far, so good.  They seem to really like it!


Ben is in 3rd grade and he continues to be an avid reader.  When I roll out of bed, he's already up with his light on, reading a book.   He's become the encyclopedia in our house.  Jason will ask a question, I will tell him that I don't know the answer but then find myself saying, "go ask Ben."


Jason is our big kindergarten kid.  On picture day, he told us that he is the second tallest kid in the class, next to his friend, Lilly.  We've never had a child in the back-row!  Jason recently had his Suzuki Book 1 recital, where he played 18 songs from memory.  He was so happy to receive his award, which is said, "is like gold".


We decided to sign the kids up in 4-H.  I must admit, I thought it was all about livestock, which is not my thing, so I had never looked into it.  A mom from school explained the program and now that I'm more educated about it, I think it's going to be a great experience for the kids.  They've already participated in a community service project and loved it.  It was sweet to hear Jason say, "it feels good to help out."


Sunday was Clay School's annual Fall Festival fundraiser and the kids had a great time, but with Sho doing over 200 shave ice and with me planning and running the event... we are glad that it's over!


Now maybe I'll do better on my next progress report :)

No comments: