Friday, June 24, 2016

Gakko Week 1

This happens ever year... before Medaka no Gakko begins, I think to myself, "This is going to be a long two weeks."  We begin and then it seems like the first week is done so fast!

The kids were so excited to start gakko this year.  They looked forward to seeing their friends, having fun and learning a few things along the way.


Like we did in the old days, we brought back the silk screen and had the kids do their own shirts.


They've done some projects that I hope they'll remember even years from now... especially since Ben chose a couple of really good goals when doing his daruma project.


Uncle Ross again agreed to be our language instructor and has taught the kids (and me) so much in this first week.  It's been fun to use some simple Japanese phrases around the house or when we're out and about.  How can you be mad at Ben for dropping some ice cream on the floor when it's quickly followed by a "gomen nasai".


Sho has been working hard feeding everyone at gakko and keeping everyone very happy!  In week one he's made oyako donburi, fried rice, homemade tofu, yakisoba and shave ice.  Without a doubt, everyone looks forward to snack time.


The day we silk screened shirts, I decided to bust out the vintage gakko shirts and we surprised Grandma by showing up in the shirts she gave us as hand-me-downs.

The kids asked me, "So are you a teacher?" to which I replied I am not.  They said, "Then what are you?  Are you like the principal?"  It was easier to say "yes" than explain that I hold a title of Curriculum Director, but I'm not really sure what that truly means in this situation, so we went with principal.  Then Kara asked, "When I'm an adult, do you think I can run gakko so we can have three generations of the family?"  I told her Grandma would be so proud... 


It has been a busy, but really great, week of gakko.  What better way to finish off the week than with a little Ampersand Ice Cream!  So we already had shave ice (with ice cream) today for snack... we're on vacation, right?!


No comments: